Thursday, January 7, 2010

Should I use an organic shampoo like Aubrey's Organics on my relaxed hair?

Many black women with long hair say that they don't use shampoos that contains sodium laureth sulfate, but only use organic shampoos. I tried Aubrey's organics for dry hair and my hair felt stiff and dry. Then I did a deep conditioning treatment with Profectiv and my hair regained its moisture.





Luster's Pink conditioning shampoo and relaxer have always worked for me, but I wanted to try an organic shampoo that would give me the same results. I don't know if my scalp is adjusting to the new shampoo, but now it feels a bit stiff or tight.





I just want to know if organic shampoos are truly the best way to go for someone who has dry relaxed hair.Should I use an organic shampoo like Aubrey's Organics on my relaxed hair?
For some reason, hair care for Black women ends up being unnecessarily complicated. Our hair is not difficult to manage, as some might believe. You can use what works best for your hair, and keeps it healthy. Anything that makes your hair feel stiff and dry, is not the right product for your hair.


I've had a relaxer for about 20 years with no problems at all. My hair is very thick, long, and healthy.


I use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, and I always use a leave-in conditioner. If I use heat on my hair, I always use a heat protectant or a serum. I've always used a variety of products on my hair. Paul Mitchell, Aveda, Nexxus, and even Tresemme, just to name a few, works great on my hair. I also do a deep conditioning a couple of times a month.


Another thing is keeping your hair clean. I like to wash my hair a couple of times a week, mainly to remove the old products and I like my hair fresh, but washing it once a week is fine. For a quick wash during the week I use Creme of Nature shampoo. Now, there is this thing where people wash their hair with conditioner; it's called co-wash. I tried it once, and my hair was not clean. I don't know where this idea came from, but I'm not a fan of this. It seems kind of ridiculous to have to restyle your hair all over again, without the hair being clean.


There are really no true ';organic'; products on the market. There has to be some sort of chemical used for a preservative. Don't get caught up in all of this nonsense. Just use what works best for your hair, and you will be happy.Should I use an organic shampoo like Aubrey's Organics on my relaxed hair?
Also, recognize that every head of hair is different and what has worked well for someone else may not work for you. Pay attention to what you put in your hair and how it makes your hair and scalp look and feel. Once you know that, stick with what works for you! Report Abuse

You might want to try a different brand also. I'm sure it doesn't but read the ingredients list to make sure it doesn't contain SLS. One woman said she bought an organic shampoo that contained it and it made her hair dry and hard. I use bioInfusion organics shampoo and conditioner and it works very well on my hair, but my hair is natural. I never used organic stuff on my permed hair, but I know more about good hair care as a natural than I did when I was relaxing.





If your hair is dry then you might want to shampoo like once a month and condition wash (co-wash) your hair the rest of the time. If you use a moisturizing conditioner then you will retain a lot of the moisture compared to shampooing. You research more about co-washing to find out how it helps your hair because it's too much info to post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment